Music Banter - View Single Post - Tutti-Frutti! Silenzio's Colourful Mix of Music
View Single Post
Old 04-06-2014, 11:12 AM   #22 (permalink)
Silenzio
Music Addict

Default La Noche Mas Larga - Buika

Today's just another rainy day, but as you say: April showers bring May flowers.
No reason to mope about - listening to a jazz album will make the day brighter!

La Noche Mas Larga - Buika

The Spanish singer Concha Buika is well-known for her amazing voice and her talent of mixing genres like Jazz, Latin and Soul.
Her album Niña de Fuego was nominated for the 2008 Latin Grammy Award, La Noche Mas Larga, released in 2013, was nominated for Best Latin Jazz Album in 2014.

Track list
1. Sueño con ella
2. Siboney
3. Ne me quitte pas
4. Yo vengo a ofrecer mi corazón
5. La nave del olvido
6. La noche más larga
7. Don't explain
8. No lo sé
9. Santa Lucia
10. Los Solos
11. Como era
12. Throw it away

Sueño con ella, I Dream of Her, is a uptempo jazz track, the harmonies makes this song even more remarkable! Even if she sings about loving a girl it sounds very authentic.The second song, Siboney, is actually a classic Cuban song by Ernesto Lecuona, about homesickness he experienced. Buika covered it nicely with a lot of passion.Ne Me Quitte Pas is a song filled with emotions and moving rhythms. The lyrics are about love - No wonder this track is performed very sincerely.Buika did an interesting cover of Mercedes Sosa's song Yo vengo a ofrecer mi corazón. Her version sounds less chill and more dramatic, she seriously offers her heart!La nave del olvido is a cover of the romantic ballad written by Dino Ramos and beats well-known interpretation by José José, because it's less melancholic.La noche más larga is partly very dark and deep from the harmonies, although I think it's more a reflection of memories, a beautiful composition.One of the English songs performed by Buika is Don't explain, originally by Billie Holiday. The flamenco-style is maybe revolutionary, but fundamental ideas were retained unchanged.More calm, the vocals performed smoky and aching, sounds the eight track Lo no sé. Santa Lucia started in traditional flamenco-style and turned out to be an almost furious song - an interesting artistic interpretation of the 80's song by Roque Narvaja.

Exactly the opposite is the following song Los Solos, with this sensual melody and mysterious atmosphere. In comparison to the previous tracks there isn't plenty of instrumentation used.Nostalgia and R&B groove characterize the song Como era. The piano melody of Siboney is used here as well, sounds like the song reflects the previous tracks.The final song is a cover of Abbey Lincoln's song Throw it away, edited in a neo-soul and flamenco-style. Perfect ending, I'd say!To sum it up, this album consists of wonderful covers and only a few self-composed works.Some say re-arranging songs doesn't make it your own, but Buika proved the opposite. Her voice sounds free and powerful throughout the album.One thing's for sure - You'll find a full range of genres and moods, traditional and new songs in this album.

Last edited by Silenzio; 04-10-2014 at 09:35 AM. Reason: Paragraph displacement
Silenzio is offline   Reply With Quote