Music Banter - View Single Post - The English Football Thread
View Single Post
Old 04-07-2014, 03:25 PM   #5303 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian Benteke View Post

Depends entirely on the goal. Generally from open play though.
I'm not so sure. I mean, in open play you MAY score --- sure, there have been plenty of announcers going "MUST BE!" and then it isn't, or "How did he miss that?" but generally it's a hope that you'll score but by no means certain or expected. In a penalty situation it's virtually taken that you will score, and if you miss you're an idiot. Missing, of course, includes the keeper saving.

So I think personally the pressure is on more when you're walking up to the spot. When it's open play, you have the confusion of the crowd yelling, your teammates around you, who do you pass to or who passes to you, where are the defenders, are you onside and so much more, that I think often it's like OH WHAT A GOAL! rather then OH NO HE MISSED! Of course it's not always that way but I think with all the distractions removed and every eye (fan and opponent) watching you the pressure to score must be huge. I would rather score from open play than a penalty, not that I could kick a ball to save my life. I doubt I could handle that sort of pressure.

Oh, and also to add: if you miss in OP or think you're not gonna make it you can always pass to another teammate. In penalties, unless the ball happens to rebound their way, you don't really have this as a get-out.

Just what I think...