Music Banter - View Single Post - Electronica & EDM combination album club! ® (Whew!)
View Single Post
Old 04-07-2014, 08:32 PM   #47 (permalink)
Janszoon
Mate, Spawn & Die

Funny story, I accidentally downloaded Eiffel 65's self-titled release and listened to it all the way through thinking it was Contact!. For those of you who were unimpressed by Contact! all can say is that the self-titled is a far, far worse album. I think it helped me a bit by setting the bar so low that I enjoyed Contact! more.
  1. What were your VERY FIRST impressions on listening to the album, say from the first five minutes in (first time)?
    My first impression was that I was thrilled that the singer's voice was much more processed on this album than on the s/t. He's much more listenable on this release.

2. Did your first impressions change, i.e., did the album get better or worse as you listened to it (first time)?
    No, it was pretty consistent.

3. Which was stronger in your opinion, the opening tracks (first 2-3 songs), or the ending tracks (last 2-3 songs)?
    The opening tracks I guess, mostly because I thought the second track, "New Life", was one of the best on the album.

4. On repeated listens (if you did so), did you find you liked the album more, or less? Feel free to be very detailed if you like.
    I haven't listened to it a second time so far. If I do, I'll post an updated reply.

5. What is your favorite track from the album, if you have one?
    "New Life" or any similar track. I thought the album was the strongest on the songs that leaned in more of a house direction.

6. What is your least favorite track from the album, if you have one?
    Not sure.

7. How would you describe the variety of tracks available on this album? Feel free to be very detailed if you like.
    Not much variety. Mostly funkier, house-ier tracks and filler.

8. What is the overall mood on this album?
    Sweaty dudes grinding with each other.

9. Is this an album you would listen to again all the way through (for personal, recreational use, outside of listening to it for this club), or are there just a few songs that you would listen to?
    Maybe. It's the kind of thing I might listen to if I was in Kylie Minogue mood but had run out of good Kylie tracks to listen to.

10. How well do you already know the band/artist?
    Well, like I mentioned above, I heard their self-titled album right before this. Prior to that my only exposure to them was a thread here on MB where it was discovered that people above a certain age (i.e. me) had never heard of them despite their apparent popularity among the elementary school crowd while I was in college.

11. If you are familiar with this band/artist, how would you compare this album to any of their earlier/later material?
    Much, much better than that other half-assed piece of crap I listened to. At least this feels like they put some time into it.

12. Do you see any way the album could have been improved?
    Less singing, performed by a better singer. More depth to the production.

13. Would you recommend this album to others?
    Probably not.

14. Are you interested in listening to more albums by this band?
    Only if they put out something shockingly different.

15. What sub-genre, if any, would you assign this music to?
    Europop.

16. Your overall album rating on a scale of 1-10 (whole numbers please. Also, please BOLD or otherwise make this rating easy to see)?
    4/10 for having some serviceable dance tracks.
Janszoon is offline   Reply With Quote