Music Banter - View Single Post - Talking Heads Were The Best Band in the World
View Single Post
Old 04-08-2014, 12:03 PM   #23 (permalink)
Burning Down
The Music Guru.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Francis View Post
I heard that one, and now i remember it was actually you and Fred that recommended the Talking heads to me.
Have you heard this one? "Take Me to the River" from More Songs About Buildings and Food (1978):

I think I had recommended them to you because you like the Pixies. I got into the Pixies after getting into Talking Heads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRED HALE SR. View Post
No one can dispute the fact that they created a fresh sound which had been missing from popular music. I always got a sense it wasn't as fun as it seemed though, something tells me Byrne is a perfectionist and that may have lead to the inevitable breakup. Tina Weymouth is one of my alltime favorite bass players, she always plays very tasteful licks and holds the bottom down. I agree their production was grade A and Byrnes vocals always hit me hard the way only a few can, such as Gabriel and Ferry.
Tina Weymouth and Byrne couldn't get along for that exact reason, especially near the end when he started getting into all the world music. Basically she didn't agree with the direction they were going in, and he couldn't take her criticism. She left the band with her husband Chris Frantz and they formed the Tom Tom Club.

Burning Down is offline   Reply With Quote