Music Banter - View Single Post - Recording Info needed
View Single Post
Old 04-10-2014, 03:32 AM   #2 (permalink)
JohnMur
Groupie

What is your budget Andrey?

Secondly, do you plan on using one microphone to record a live take of vocals and guitar/piano (or your instrument of choice) during a single take, or separate microphones (one for vocals, guitar etc.) to record a single take, or record each component separately?

Personally I'll go with option 3 as then you have much more control with mixing and post-production. Option 1 requires that you get the microphone position perfect such that vocals and guitar levels are correct, while in option 2 you will have some bleed, that is some guitar in the vocals track.

With multi-tracking you should then use a DAW (Digital Audio Workstation) to mix your audio tracks. As you use a PC, you could consider MAGIX's Music Studio as your own recording studio as it is easy to use and relatively inexpensive. To learn about music production on the computer, I'd recommend this free course on Cousera.

I have never used a USB microphone, and although they are convenient, I instead think that a small soundcard and microphones would be more versatile as you appear to want to take being a performer seriously.
JohnMur is offline   Reply With Quote