Music Banter - View Single Post - Your Day
Thread: Your Day
View Single Post
Old 04-10-2014, 09:39 AM   #27402 (permalink)
Burning Down
The Music Guru.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YorkeDaddy View Post
Such an assignment would be probably be structured around the class, or am I wrong? The extra credit 10-pager has to be on top of the ridiculous mountain of law material we all have to study along with the rest of our classes, I just don't think I could possibly do it while still remaining focused on all my other stuff.
Generally yes. In the program I was in, some upper year courses are called "topic courses", and the professor sets a broad topic to be discussed throughout the term, so every year the course has a different focus. The topic for one course that I took was "Romantic Music", and the student's personal topic for their thesis has to fit under that umbrella. So a history of the era, or a biography of a specific composer, or a complete analysis of a composer's works would all be acceptable topics. There are only like 12 people in the course and it's basically an independent study course. You go into class once a week for 2 hours, and each week 2 people have to present something pertaining to their research, and then there is discussion on whatever material was presented. So everyone still learns something outside of their own research. Your professor mentors you throughout the term as well.

I did two of those courses, and if I had an extra credit assignment on top of all that, I probably wouldn't do it either. It's better just to focus on the main homework and do the extra stuff only if you can manage it.
Burning Down is offline   Reply With Quote