Music Banter - View Single Post - Things that make you feel old
View Single Post
Old 04-10-2014, 09:52 AM   #52 (permalink)
Paul Smeenus
David Hasselhoff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astronomer View Post
DJ is right. Homeschooling is not the same as Unschooling. Parents or guardians who decide to "homeschool" have a curriculum, guidelines and assessment pieces that they need to complete and are constantly checked up on re: their children's progress and learnings. "Unschooling" (it has various different names these days, this is one that I can think of) is completely different and is basically where the parents/guardians don't send their children to school but also don't follow a curriculum or set guidelines. They don't really have any pedagogy behind what their kids are learning. Completely different from homeschooling, so don't lump all homeschooling parents into that stereotype!
I didnt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Smeenus View Post
It's not impossible. There's some kids that never see the inside of a public or even private school, they are home schooled and [ba very high percentage[/b] of those families have some kind of crackpot religious fundamentalism, where there would be an increased potential for Holocaust revisionism and/or denial. Some statistics:

https://nces.ed.gov/fastfacts/display.asp?id=91

I do not have statistics as to whether or not or what percentage of the estimated 1.5 million kids in the US are not taught about the Holocaust but the principle reason given for homeschooling is " a desire to provide religious or moral instruction (36 percent of students)".

36 percent is IMO an unacceptably high percentage but certainly not *all* or even a majority. Furthermore I stated that it was an unknown percentage of that group that could be fed the crackpot ideas. It could be half or less, idk but I do know those people are out there.
Gentle Giant Catalog Review

The entire Ditty Bops catalog reviewed
Paul Smeenus is offline   Reply With Quote