Music Banter - View Single Post - Bullying
Thread: Bullying
View Single Post
Old 04-10-2014, 10:46 AM   #35 (permalink)
Cuthbert
Account Disabled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astronomer View Post
Well, firstly, I work in an area of extremely low socio-economic status so the parents really couldn't give a fuck, which is why the teachers end up mediating it.
Fair point.

Quote:
Secondly, technology changes so rapidly that there are probably parents who don't understand the magnitude of internet safety, or more appropriately, internet savvy. Think, Facebook was founded only 10 years ago and now there a plethora of social media sites out there that have grown in immense magnitude, their kids can probably outmsart them in terms of blockage/banning/education/etc.

I just think there probably needs to be more education on building up your resilience, dealing with bullies, and acting responsibly and safely in public and networked internet spaces. It's not always about "why aren't the parents supervising them" - do you really think that parents can monitor 100% of a child's internet activity in this day and age?!
Agree w/ highlighted.

As for the question, alright, no.

It is different now, but kids in that age group (you mentioned as young as 8) shouldn't be owning tablets and phones and being left to use them unsupervised that's irresponsible. And this was the case for both my cousins, dunno if other parents do it just saying I know they could basically do what they want.

People can argue you can't tell them no, because all their mates have them so they'll feel left out but ffs grow a set and tell them no.
Cuthbert is offline   Reply With Quote