Music Banter - View Single Post - Tutti-Frutti! Silenzio's Colourful Mix of Music
View Single Post
Old 04-10-2014, 10:55 AM   #23 (permalink)
Silenzio
Music Addict

Default Paracosm - Washed Out

Paracosm - Washed Out

Does the cover let you guess the genre? No, it's not a flower-power Hippie album- it's Chillwave!
Washed Out is the stage name of the American singer-songwriter and record producer Ernest Greene.
I liked his debut album of 2011 - Within and Without, although this one, released in 2013 is more creative!

Track list
1. Entrance
2. It All Feels Right
3. Don’t Give Up
4. Weightless
5. All I Know
6. Great Escape
7. Paracosm
8. Falling Back
9. All Over Now

Entrance - the opening title is correct - it sounds like you are strolling through a park, hearing the songbirds whistle - you enter the album. The atmosphere very natural in comparison to the isolated sounds of the previous album.
Happy melodies surround you, It all feels Right, the dreamy sounds and echos evoke summer-holiday feeling. The lyrics may seem childlike: meet up with the old crowd, musics playing so loud, it all feels right...
Yes, it's not a song for story telling, but more it's about recreating a pleasant situation and conveying good memories. There is used a non-electric drum beat and somehow the guitar creates some tropical flair.
Don’t Give Up is a tad over-layered at the start, but it turns out to be a very positive song, but it sounds mellow. Weightless is a dark song with interesting sound reflections, it's like you'd be zooming in sound, a real constructive layering is used.
The fifth song, All I Know, reminds me on Digitalism. Nevertheless you can say they are more dreamy and psychedelic and the electric guitar is way more cool. The vocals in this track are excellent, as well as the lyrics, listen!

A Great Escape is what we all long for when times are bad. The song is breezy and continues with the carefree attitude, it offers you the opportunity to create your own imaginary world.
The song Paracosm consists of pure chords, floating motifs and soft, swirling melodies performed on a harp, accompanied by repetitive vocals. It's less jolly yet it keeps up the positive mood.
Falling Back is a very cute song with lovely lyrics. You call my name out, at the darkest hour. You try to deny it, to forget why. You know inside it's right - You're falling back.
Next follows a touching ending song, It's all over now. Literally, you leave this dream world, but you won't forget the experiences you made. It's actually this way in reality.
You fade into a dream. You're freer than you've ever been. You float just like the wind. Explore a life you never lived from deep within. Though you fight it off, you know there's a moment when you have to give it up - It's all over now.

This album may be a good recommendation for all Beach House and Tycho fans who enjoy soft electronic layers paired with dreamy vocals and optimistic lyrics.
Hope you enjoy!