Music Banter - View Single Post - The many benefits of a child-free life
View Single Post
Old 04-11-2014, 05:45 AM   #435 (permalink)
Janszoon
Mate, Spawn & Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astronomer View Post
ladyislingering, interesting question - if you were to get pregnant, I'm assuming you would not keep the baby then? What would your thoughts be if you accidentally fell pregnant? Is your plan of action something you've discussed together?

Unrelated, but one thing I disagree with is people who say they want to have kids to that when they are old they have people to look after them and support them. My mother is one of these people, now that she is old and alone she loves to pull the guilt trip on me of "I raised you, now you have to look after me" and doesn't understand that I am a grown adult with my own life to live! (Don't think that I'm some cold-hearted bitch, I do look after my mother as much as I can muster, but she is also a psychopath, whole different story, but yeah...) Yes, when you have children it does mean that when you are old and incapacitated you will be surrounded by younger, fitter people who can help you and look after you but I don't think that should be a complete basis around having children.
I hear you. My mother-in-law is like that unfortunately. That said, if there were a "the many benefits of having children" I would say that having someone who will be your advocate when you're old is a big plus side of having kids. I look at my grandfather's case as a good example. He saved enough and planned enough so he wasn't a burden on anyone, but his children and grandchildren were still there to check on him and make sure he was getting everything he needed once it became hard for him to do those things for himself.
Janszoon is offline   Reply With Quote