Music Banter - View Single Post - Raised On The Radio - What Music Did You Grow Up Listening To?
View Single Post
Old 04-11-2014, 06:38 AM   #31 (permalink)
Astronomer
we are stardust

Quote:
Originally Posted by djchameleon View Post
I hate to say this but this general attitude in my experience always only comes from white females that I know. It wasn't even a great time for women back in those days but then again it's all hearsay since I didn't live in the 60s but obviously I would NEVER want to live in the 60s. I'm perfectly fine with the decade that I was born in. The only people that would actually benefit from living in the 60s are white male and you better hope that you were rich enough to skip out on the draft and didn't get sent to Vietnam. For all the positive things that people usually list off about the 60s, I always tend to see all the negative sides. It was pretty awful in general in my eyes and I just don't see why it gets romanticized so much.
I think the attitude is there because the sixties were basically where a revolution of social norms began - yes, it wasn't as great to be a cultural minority as it is now, BUT it was a time where countercultures bloomed and conservative/restrictive views on women, freedom, war, and race were being challenged. It's romantisied because it was a pivotal point in changing views surrounding a whole plethora of social issues.