Music Banter - View Single Post - How Privileged Are You?
View Single Post
Old 04-12-2014, 02:14 AM   #26 (permalink)
Astronomer
we are stardust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanilla View Post
I'm sure no one will be surprised about this:

54%

You’re quite privileged. You’ve had a few struggles, but overall your life has been far easier than most. This is not a bad thing, nor is it something to be ashamed of. But you should be aware of your advantages and work to help others who don’t have them. Thank you for checking your privilege.

Response: thank you Buzzfeed.

I may not have faced anything to do with sexuality, gender or race but there are many other things I've gone through that are not all covered by the quiz. I'm definitely aware of my privilege and consider myself very lucky. At the same time I'm not a rich girl from LA who's had everything paid for (college included).
You got about the same as me! I agree, there are lots of aspects of privilege that the test does not take into account and some statements are very simplified. I answered the test very honestly and only unticked a statement when I know it would not be true for most case scenarios in my life.

I think the reason I got a fairly high privilege rating was that I could tick "yes" for all of the healthcare options, thanks to Australia's public healthcare. So feeling very 'privileged' so to speak to have those options available to me.

It's strange though to think that so many people here on this forum (obviously educated, literate, opinionated and free) scored such low scores when you compare to obvious disadvantage as experienced in third world countries - would they then get MINUS scores?!

Anyway, just thought it was interesting nonetheless!