Music Banter - View Single Post - How Privileged Are You?
View Single Post
Old 04-12-2014, 02:20 AM   #27 (permalink)
Scarlett O'Hara
Make it so

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astronomer View Post
You got about the same as me! I agree, there are lots of aspects of privilege that the test does not take into account and some statements are very simplified. I answered the test very honestly and only unticked a statement when I know it would not be true for most case scenarios in my life.

I think the reason I got a fairly high privilege rating was that I could tick "yes" for all of the healthcare options, thanks to Australia's public healthcare. So feeling very 'privileged' so to speak to have those options available to me.

It's strange though to think that so many people here on this forum (obviously educated, literate, opinionated and free) scored such low scores when you compare to obvious disadvantage as experienced in third world countries - would they then get MINUS scores?!

Anyway, just thought it was interesting nonetheless!
I was also surprised too how low most people's scores were. You're right about being poor in a third world country being minus. It didn't really cover the type of country you were in, what your socioeconomic status is, whether you've gone through a disaster (for example in my case, earthquakes which devastated the city I was living in), whether you've gone through PTSD (only mentions depression and mental disorders but I feel that one should be included.