Music Banter - View Single Post - What is/was your favourite PHYSICAL music shop or store?
View Single Post
Old 04-12-2014, 05:13 PM   #7 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zer0 View Post
Freebird still exists, down a corridor off Wicklow St. Plenty of vinyl and second-hand CDs to be found there. I've never actually set foot in The Sound Cellar, I've always imagined it to be full of elitist metalheads.

My favourite would be Tower Records in Dublin. It has the right balance between being a large high street store and being a proper record store run by people who know their music and are very helpful. It has a huge selection of CDs and vinyl that caters for everyone's tastes, a nice selection of books, posters, DVDs, headphones, gifts and you can even get some tea or coffee.
I've been in Tower (the one inside Easons right?) a few times and would agree, the staff there seem like the type you could actually chat to rather than the likes of HMV or Virgin (when they were here), although having said that I must credit a guy in HMV for sorting out my search which led to my discovering the music of Josh Groban. Fair play to him.

Sound Cellar was just pretty relaxed and Tommy was always a decent guy. I wouldn't fear going in there. Mind you, I haven't been there for a long long long time. Do you remember when Freebird was upstairs in Grafton Street, and you'd be accosted on the way up by mildly annoying skinheads who would ask for change, and if you said no they'd shrug and just leave you alone? Ah, good times...