Music Banter - View Single Post - Things that make you feel old
View Single Post
Old 04-13-2014, 07:58 PM   #100 (permalink)
Engine
air quote

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trollheart View Post
I'm not trying to fight with anyone. I doubt there are people my age who don't know who MA is but of course I can't prove that, but I lived in an era before the internet had a stranglehold on people and we had to find things out by ourselves, often through asking people older than us or (shock horror) paying attention in class.

I'm not trying to romanticise the past but in twenty-odd years I have seen such a slide in the standards of both spelling and grammar, as well as a shocking lack of historical knowledge or even interest, adn you can't tell me that it's just coincidence that the rise of Facebook, Twitter et al has been happening at the same time?
Not trying to fight. Not trying to romanticize the past, yet that's what you're doing.

Presuming that social media is for stupid young people is highly ignorant. If you cared to use it, you'd know that the brightest people share their knowledge there (and know how to spell ). It's akin to paying attention in class. Guaranteed, you'd be privy to a lot more information than your grade school education in the 1970s provided.

And you dare to criticize the internet? You think it has a stranglehold on people? Um, isn't the internet the ONLY WAY you have to communicate with the outside world? Isn't it what makes you feel special?

Please stop making age 50 look like age 80. You know better.