Music Banter - View Single Post - Urban's 'Doctor Who' Thing
View Single Post
Old 04-13-2014, 08:00 PM   #124 (permalink)
Urban Hat€monger ?
The Sexual Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astronomer View Post
I always wondered why Martha disappeared so quickly as well. I mean, she did continue to get a few post-appearances now and then but I thought she was great as a main companion. Interesting rumours nonetheless. Donna is still my favourite companion of the new series (after initially disliking her she grew on me), but Martha is a very close second! I love that she was already living her dream before the Doctor came into her life (rather than being "rescued" from the mundane as most of his companions are), she's intelligent and educated, she leaves the doctor on her own terms, and she uses her experiences with the doctor to lead a kick-ass life afterwards. When she comes back in contact with the doctor she treats him as an equal, rather than an idol. So yeah, pretty much, that is why I too think that Martha is awesome.
Those reasons you give for liking Martha pretty much nailed exactly why I love her so much.
I do love Donna as well, I was dreading it when I heard Catherine Tate was doing a full series but I think they handled it well in having her change after she met the Doctor the first time, and calming her down a bit. In fact by the time you got to the window scene in 'Partners in Crime' I was totally won over by her.
I love the way she was written out too, that was totally heartbreaking. Her departure was the most upset I've ever been about a companion leaving since Jo Grant left the 3rd Doctor. Having Bernard Cribbins as her Grandad was inspired casting, that guy could make a stone cry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astronomer View Post
Do you have an all-time favourite episode or storyline from the classic or modern series?
Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknown Soldier View Post
Anyway I still think it's a great episode, especially with the concept of a small self-help group and Marc Warren was great, kind of reminded me of the tv series Dear John with the group of individuals on show. I'm guessing that the ELO influence probably killed it for you anyway
Well Marc Warren is great in everything, If I ever do watch that episode ever again it's because he's in it, and that's all.
If I'm honest Peter Kay being in it annoys me more then the ELO thing.
I used to quite like Phoenix Night, now I can't stand the guy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknown Soldier View Post
I also watched Fear Her and what a ****ing crap episode that was! and easily belongs that low down on your list.
I'll swap you, I just watched Episode 2 of The Sensorites.
F*cking hell this has got the be the slowest episode of Doctor Who I have ever seen. I feel like I've aged 10 years just watching it.

Urb's RYM Stuff

Most people sell their soul to the devil, but the devil sells his soul to Nick Cave.