Music Banter - View Single Post - Things that make you feel old
View Single Post
Old 04-14-2014, 03:07 PM   #105 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engine View Post
Not trying to fight. Not trying to romanticize the past, yet that's what you're doing.

Presuming that social media is for stupid young people is highly ignorant. If you cared to use it, you'd know that the brightest people share their knowledge there (and know how to spell ). It's akin to paying attention in class. Guaranteed, you'd be privy to a lot more information than your grade school education in the 1970s provided.

And you dare to criticize the internet? You think it has a stranglehold on people? Um, isn't the internet the ONLY WAY you have to communicate with the outside world? Isn't it what makes you feel special?

Please stop making age 50 look like age 80. You know better.
I think I said I wasn't trying to romanticise the past to the degree James is saying I am. I know it wasn't all roses then. I did live through it. As for the Internet, I may use it to communicate with YOU guys but it is not the only way I have to communicate. Anyway I apologised to James already so why are you fuelling the fire --- oh yeah, you're an engine aren't you? Hmm.

You only have to look at the "Facebook" thread here to see the shocking level of spelling and grammar proliferating. Obviously I'm not saying every person on FB does that but it seems very prevalent from the admittedly little I've read.

You see? People keep pulling me into fights I don't want. I made my apologies and that should have been the end of it but others want to take me to task too, initiating a new argument and wasting time debating something I've already apologised for. That said, I am right in part of what I say and you surely can't deny that there is overall a terrible decline in the usage of the English language, and that this is mainly due to people using messengers and chat rooms, Facebook, Twitter et al, and to texting as well.

I may not be 100% right, but I'm not 100% wrong. Your points are valid but you should concede or allow that mine are too. I'm not always right, I know that. But there is truth, even partial truth in what I say. Parts of the internet may be populated by --- sorry, are populated by intelligent, well-read people, I certainly don't deny that, but other parts of it are home to people who couldn't spell a word with more than three syllables without having to look it up.