Music Banter - View Single Post - How Privileged Are You?
View Single Post
Old 04-14-2014, 03:46 PM   #66 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

I don't, and never have or will, own a car for the simple reason that I can't drive. When I had considered getting one (probably learning to drive it first I guess) I did worry because where I live there are no driveways, garages or carports and everyone parks their car just outside. Not outside your house, because there are no streets per se: each house (other than corner ones) back up onto others so there is no way to leave your car literally outside your door. There is no room.

We don't live in a particularly high crime area but cars are always being stolen everywhere, and we as a family were somewhat sneered at and victimised for being "quiet", not mixing and so on. So I worried that if I did get a car I would be forever checking to make sure it was still there. Plus at the time I could have afforded one (had I been able to drive) I was basically supporting a so-called friend who turned out to be a worthless gold-digger (shock!) with whom I thought I was in love, so I couldn't have afforded one anyway.

But even given all that, the choice was mine not to buy a car. I could have afforded one had I changed certain things in my life, but I had never been taught to drive and frankly the idea scared me, still does. So I never will. Therefore I relied, still do, on public transport, and have all my life. Has nothing to do with privilege and more a choice I made.

So yeah, the question is definitely flawed. Like a lot of the others are. Very unbalanced sort of quiz.