Music Banter - View Single Post - The Bitch Box
Thread: The Bitch Box
View Single Post
Old 04-15-2014, 03:46 PM   #15121 (permalink)
ladyislingering
Maelian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sequoioideae View Post
When people find out I can't drive, their perception of me then goes to that of an immature child. I wish I didn't have to deal with people anymore.
Some people just don't have the resources to learn. (And a lot of people don't understand that.) Had someone quite kind not stepped into my life at the right moment, I never would have learned either. My father taught me for a while and then someone's mom took several weeks to teach me as well. It was a grueling process, considering my shitty eyesight.

Though I did pay an instructor $90/hr to teach me how to parallel park. Just so I could pass the test. Couldn't do it now.

Then I paid out the nose for a shitty car that didn't last, guzzled gas, and eventually ended up selling it to the woman who taught me how to drive it. At the height of the recession.

Generally it would seem that learning to drive at a young age is strongly associated with how wealthy your parents are. (Though I was pretty terrified - I waited til I was 19 and really only had to learn because I moved and the commute to work was ridiculous.)

There's no shame in not having skills that aren't easily obtained without a lot of money or someone to sacrifice a lot of their time to teach you for free.