Music Banter - View Single Post - The Bitch Box
Thread: The Bitch Box
View Single Post
Old 04-17-2014, 03:49 AM   #15153 (permalink)
Janszoon
Mate, Spawn & Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePhanastasio View Post
I feel you; a month-ish on Celexa and I don't feel much better; just prescribed something else in conjunction.

My bitch: I have been hating that mental health professionals have all been telling me the same thing:

God has a plan for me, and that's why my suicide attempt failed.

That does not align with my beliefs. I was apparently near-dead and resuscitated, but there was nothing religious about it. It was nature; I overdosed, and was given effective treatment which happened to work. It wasn't "God;" it was people.

Giving me the notion that God was watching out for me as therapy is bull****, and I'm not ecstatic about being the ******* like, "Nah, it was just chance, and your superstition is pissing me off."

I have had TWO psychiatrists, THREE doctors of general medicine in the ICU, multiple nurses, two social workers, and a therapist express this to me. How do I shut it down without coming off like a jerk?
I would just tell them in no uncertain terms that you don't share their beliefs and that those comments are very unhelpful to you. Or, if you're feeling snarky, maybe ask them if there are any other inappropriate subjects they'd like to discuss such as their political views or favorite sexual positions. Those people are being extremely unprofessional and really need to be slapped down.
Janszoon is offline   Reply With Quote