Music Banter - View Single Post - Urban's 'Doctor Who' Thing
View Single Post
Old 04-18-2014, 01:19 PM   #137 (permalink)
Urban Hat€monger ?
The Sexual Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astronomer View Post
I watched The Sensorites a while ago, I'd have to watch it again though if I wanted to comment in detail
That's what I had to do. This is the first time since I started doing this where I had to sit down & watched a story before I wrote about it because I remembered so little about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknown Soldier View Post
I can't believe that adventures like Colony in Space and the Keys of Marinus are so low down. Colony in Space might not be a classic but its a strong story and was kind of a breath of fresh air, as the Doctor had been stranded on Earth for most of the first two Pertwee seasons. It was also one of the first adventures as well that really started the trend of the 'Earth Federation' style adventures that dominated the second half of John Pertwee and the early Tom Baker years.
I love the Jon Pertwee 6 parters and they're nearly all really low on that list . I love The Time Warrior & The Mutants. Monster Of Peladon is OK, Colony In Space I would say is one of my least liked Pertwee story but that's more because I like the others better rather than thinking it's a bad story.I'm surprised Planet of the Spiders is so high. I wonder if that's because it's a regeneration story.
I also noticed there isn't a single Pertwee story in the top 30. I reckon in my list most, if not all of series 7 will be in the top 40. I remember when I first started joining Doctor Who forums about a decade or so ago I was really surprised that there seemed to be a huge backlash against the Pertwee era.
I'm hoping that Peter Capaldi's Doctor brings about a re-evaluation of that era with him being of a similar age and wearing a similar costume.

Quote:
Keys of Marinus on the other hand is a classic and one of my personal favourites from the Hartnell era and showed an amazing amount of creativity for early Doctor Who, especially in the era of historical stories that relied on historical facts.
I like bits of it, especially the brains in jars and the courtroom drama episodes. It was one of the first Hartnell stories I enjoyed, I think because it takes place in somewhere different in each episode it didn't seem to be as slow as some of the other stories.

Quote:
Also noticed The Ark low down as well, I think that's another great adventure and was a great idea to have the Doctor return to the same vessel years later after it had finished its voyage, I know the adventure had the usual flaws but still great stuff!
The Ark was one of the last stories I saw from the old series, I was expecting it to be rubbish but I watched it all in one sitting and really enjoyed it.

Urb's RYM Stuff

Most people sell their soul to the devil, but the devil sells his soul to Nick Cave.