Music Banter - View Single Post - Urban's 'Doctor Who' Thing
View Single Post
Old 04-20-2014, 02:53 AM   #140 (permalink)
Unknown Soldier
Horribly Creative

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Hat€monger ? View Post
I love the Jon Pertwee 6 parters and they're nearly all really low on that list . I love The Time Warrior & The Mutants. Monster Of Peladon is OK, Colony In Space I would say is one of my least liked Pertwee story but that's more because I like the others better rather than thinking it's a bad story.I'm surprised Planet of the Spiders is so high. I wonder if that's because it's a regeneration story.
I'd say the Planet of Spiders, Invasion of the Dinosaurs and Frontier in Space as probably the weakest 6 parters for different reasons. Planet of Spiders is just a corny story and the poorest 6 parter, Invasion of Dinosaurs was about two episodes too long and Frontier in Space I know is a rated story, but it just didn't seem to click where it mattered for me, much like the same complaint I'd put against the Three Doctors.

Quote:
I also noticed there isn't a single Pertwee story in the top 30. I reckon in my list most, if not all of series 7 will be in the top 40. I remember when I first started joining Doctor Who forums about a decade or so ago I was really surprised that there seemed to be a huge backlash against the Pertwee era.
I'm hoping that Peter Capaldi's Doctor brings about a re-evaluation of that era with him being of a similar age and wearing a similar costume.
When I first started watching Doctor Who Tom Baker was the Doctor, but most of the novels that were out at the time were from the Jon Pertwee era and if they repeated any older stories it was from the Pertwee era as well and so I always looked upon him as one of the pivotal and best Doctors. I went many a year thinking that people saw him as one of the best Doctors and it was only in the age of the internet that I saw how disliked he actually was. For me the Doctor should be an eccentric character which is why I think that Tom Baker and Patrick Troughton are the best two Doctors ever, with Jon Pertwee possibly taking third place.

Quote:
I like bits of it, especially the brains in jars and the courtroom drama episodes. It was one of the first Hartnell stories I enjoyed, I think because it takes place in somewhere different in each episode it didn't seem to be as slow as some of the other stories.
As said I think it was highly original and the adventure really stands out for its uniqueness.

Quote:
The Ark was one of the last stories I saw from the old series, I was expecting it to be rubbish but I watched it all in one sitting and really enjoyed it.
Another example really of one of the more creative stories from that era.
If you can't deal with the fact that there are 6+ billion people in the world and none of them think exactly the same that's not my problem. Just deal with it yourself or make actual conversation. This isn't a court and I'm not some poet or prophet that needs everything I say to be analytically critiqued.
Metal Wars

Power Metal

Pounding Decibels- A Hard and Heavy History