Music Banter - View Single Post - Ten Boy Summer
Thread: Ten Boy Summer
View Single Post
Old 04-22-2014, 11:02 PM   #1 (permalink)
GuD
Dude... What?

Default Ten Boy Summer

So, not too long ago I met someone and had a conversation that jogged my memory of a pretty ****ing hard to find compilation of 90s (mostly) Bay Area hardcore/skramz/emo/etc put together by an organization called Food not Bombs. If you haven't heard of FnB, they're a great organization that basically collects wasted food from restaurants/cafes/chains as well as from donations to help feed the homeless. It's not as active as it used to be. But, it was a haven for 90s bay area punk/at-risk/homeless (in many cases all three) youth from what I hear.

Anyways, long unrelated intro aside Ten Boy Summer was a band on the compilation that I remember being fond of in high school. Pretty obscure, hard to find any info about them. Yep, they're one of "those" emo bands- the ones whose merch and original issue vinyl sell for triple digits on ebay. I found this on youtube, pretty much the only online source to their music I'm aware of.

Makes me wonder what they would've sounded like if they could've afforded decent recording equipment. Might just be the obscene amount of distortion but goddamn, those screams make me feel 16 again. This is lo-fi, noisy, and difficult/painful to listen to, in that good way only an old school obscure miserable band of emos can accomplish.

"The History of Blank Pages and the Conscious Decision to Discontinue the Tradition Our Gender has Been Plagued With," a song title so long only an emo band would come up with it, was featured on the comp and is probably the standout. IMO, the first 15 or so minutes are kinda average. But after that... holy ****.

Did I mention they share a guitarist with Cap'n Jazz?
And still people want me dead
~msc

Last edited by GuD; 04-22-2014 at 11:13 PM.
GuD is offline   Reply With Quote