Music Banter - View Single Post - Political Correctness and You.
View Single Post
Old 04-26-2014, 02:06 AM   #14 (permalink)
Mojo
Melancholia Eternally

I hate how to 'be PC' has come to be regarded as a negative thing. Surely only being overly PC, as some may see it, should be considered a negative.

I rarely get offended, especially by language, but the use of the two words you offer as examples in a casual context does annoy me. Mainly because very rarely do I see a need for it. As far as I'm concerned they are both hateful words that I don't often see a need to use whatsoever. I can't speak for everyone but I don't think I know a single person who realistically has a need to use either and so when they do, it doesn't even seem to make sense to me. I'll hear a friend call someone gay or a ***got and more often than not it's just a general, generic negative or insult for which they are countless alternatives that would also make contextual sense.

I personally consider myself to be PC, although I'm not claiming I'm perfect, and I don't consider that it takes a lot of effort or is at all difficult, just as it is to be polite, or have manners, or generally not be a dickhead. But I do think people can be TOO PC at times. It's difficult to say where to draw the line as there are too many variables. It's all dependent on the situation, the context, the parties involved etc. But generally I find people to be too PC when they seem hell bent on actively seeking things to complain about. Some people almost seem to revel in being "offended". That I don't really understand.

Last.FM | Echoes and Dust
Mojo is offline   Reply With Quote