Music Banter - View Single Post - Last album you bought, downloaded or listened to
View Single Post
Old 04-27-2014, 02:44 PM   #20717 (permalink)
Zer0

Afghan Whigs - Do The Beast (2014)
Their first studio album in 16 years. It's not a bad album but it does seem like a standard reunion album, don't expect anything new here. Greg Dulli's voice doesn't quite have the power and range that it used to have and this leaves a few songs sounding a bit flat. It does come together nicely on some of the more intimate songs however.

Angel Olsen - Burn Your Fire for No Witness (2014)
A very enjoyable folk/indie-folk album. Her haunting voice is both beautiful and unsettling to listen to at times. It seems like a slow-burner so I can see myself enjoying it more with repeated listens.

Mineral - The Power of Failing (1997)
I have a funny relationship with emo. I can really enjoy some bands (Sunny Day Real Estate, American Football) yet find other bands unbearable (Cap'n Jazz, La Dispute). This album falls somewhere in the middle. Instrumentally I can get some enjoyment out of this but sometimes the vocals are not to my taste. But there are a few songs here that I really do enjoy.

Love Spirals Downwards - Flux (1998)
I've been trying to get hold of some albums from these guys for some time without any luck. I just realised that most of their albums are up on Spotify (apart from Ardor, which was the album I really wanted to listen to). This album is a great mix of ethereal wave and drum 'n' bass influences. It makes for a beautiful and psychedelic listening experience.

October Project - October Project (1993)
Not quite sure why I decided to listen to this. I guess this is what happens when you are led on by an interesting description in someone's album list. This is bog standard early-90's dreamy pop-rock with some some very irritating melodramatic vocals. They sound like a shit version of All About Eve.