Music Banter - View Single Post - The Sane Psycho's Journal Of Psychotic Sanity
View Single Post
Old 04-27-2014, 07:24 PM   #2 (permalink)
The Sane Psycho
Music Addict

Late '90s/Early '00s Boy Bands

First of all, I want to thank whoever approved my Journal. To be honest, I was worried it wasn't going to be because I have far less than 100 posts. So, thank you, whoever decided to look past that and let me have my Journal. I really appreciate it.

I know you're probably laughing at me right now. However, I implore you to read anyways.

I was a young child in the late '90s and early '00s. Maybe it's the nostalgia talking, but I feel that that was a great time to be a kid. Nintendo 64 and PS1, awesome shows on Nickelodeon, Cartoon Network, and Kids WB, and the beginning of the Pokemon craze in America, among other things. It was truly an awesome time, and I'd love to go back to it, if just for one week. However, one thing from that time that was mocked endlessly back then and now were boy bands.

Who can forget them? Groups like N'Sync, The Backstreet Boys, 98 Degrees, 5ive, etc. were huge back then. They had millions of teenage fangirls, megahit after megahit, and tons of money. They were everywhere. They were on TV and movies. There was a ton of merchandise for them as well. Think of them as the Justin Biebers and One Directions of the late '90s and early '00s. And just like One Direction and Justin Bieber, they were hated immensely by the male population. The older guys criticized them for being manufactured to make money, and they had a point. Us younger boys, on the other hand, just thought they made "sissy" music, and took great pleasure in making fun of their songs.

But I don't think anyone will disagree with me when I say we all sort of enjoyed them secretly, though we would rather die then tell anybody. Are those boy bands really that much better than the pop artists of today like so many girls in my age group claim? No, not really. But, I'll tell you what, I'd be lying if I said I don't get a sort of guilty pleasure when listening to them. It brings me back to my childhood, to a simpler time. They may not have made the best music, but it certainly makes me nostalgic. So yes, I do like the boy bands from my childhood. I do enjoy their music. Just please don't tell anyone.

Next up in my Journal: My First Two Albums
The Sane Psycho is offline   Reply With Quote