Music Banter - View Single Post - The Prog Rock Album Club
View Single Post
Old 04-27-2014, 09:24 PM   #805 (permalink)
Anteater
Certified H00d Classic

Album Title: Heavy Horses
Artist: Jethro Tull
Nationality: British
Year: 1978
Subgenre: Prog-Folk
Player(s): Ian Anderson (Vocals, Flute, Dancing), Martin Barre (Guitar) Barriemore Barlow (Drums), John Evan (Organ, Piano), David Palmer (Keyboards) John Glascock (Bass)
Familiarity: Is it possible to be a proghead and not know Tull?
Favourite track(s): Journeyman, No Lullaby
Why? I picked these two because the former is groovy in an almost AOR fashion whilst the latter has some excellent orchestrations and plenty of fun posturing from Ian.
Least favourite track(s): None.
Why? 'Heavy Horses' is such a consistent record from start to finish that even when something doesn't stand out, it adds depth to the album experience.
Any preconceptions prior to listening, whether good or bad? Of course not. Doesn't really apply to me on this band.
Factoids you'd like to share? A lot of metalheads were pretty mad at Jethro Tull in 1988. Wonder why?
End impression: Surprisingly strong album from a band that were already considered "dinosaurs" by critics.
Comments: The funny thing about Jethro Tull is that a big chunk of their 70's output had at least one meh cut per record or song segments that didn't quite work on their more epic excursions. Heavy Horses, however, is one of the few exceptions to that rule by being a pretty groovy ride from '...And the Mouse Police Never Sleeps' all the way to the end. This gives it a slight edge over Songs From The Wood for me, tying it with TAAB and Aqualung as their best album of the 70's...though of course that's only my opinion. That being said, I don't think Ian was ever quite this good again going forward into the 80's and beyond.
Rating: 4.5

Anteater's Daily Tune Roulette

Quote:
Originally Posted by OccultHawk
I was called upon by the muses for greatness.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frownland
I'm bald, ja.
Anteater is offline   Reply With Quote