Music Banter - View Single Post - The Sane Psycho's Journal Of Psychotic Sanity
View Single Post
Old 04-28-2014, 03:06 AM   #5 (permalink)
The Sane Psycho
Music Addict

My First Two Albums

Yes, my first two albums were Satellite by P.O.D. and Nellyville by Nelly. I got them when I was in 3rd grade, on the same day. It's actually very surprising to see how much my taste in music has changed. So how did I get these albums? Read on to find out.

When I was younger, I would often go to my friends (Troy and Sean were their names) apartment. Me going over there was actually what transformed me from being a music listener to being a music fan.

One day when I was over there, I heard a song on the radio, on a station that has long since been turned into a country station, and I loved it. Sean told me the song was called Satellite and that it was by a band called P.O.D. Like I said, I loved this song, so I naturally wanted to buy the CD. I really liked it back then. I actually listened to the song on YouTube recently for old times sake/ I have also heard Youth Of The Nation a million times. To be honest, P.O.D. hasn't aged all that well for me. They're decent, but there are many Nu Metal bands that are a lot better. Still, this is an important album for me, as P.O.D. were the first Rock band I was really into.

Nellyville, on the other hand, was sort of a consolation prize for me. The album I really wanted was The Eminem Show, as I was a massive Eminem fan back in the day (and I still love their music today), but I'll talk about that in another entry. The point is, I wasn't allowed to get it due to the explicit lyrics, so I got this album instead. I guess my mom and my aunt didn't know that this album also contained explicit lyrics. I mainly got the CD because I liked the songs Hot In Herre, Dilemma, and #1. Of course, I also loved Ride Wit Me, but I didn't know it was a Nelly song back then. Stupid me, I guess.

I actually ended up loving the album. I preferred it over Satellite. Seriously, I used to listen to this **** all the time. I don't like it nearly as much as I used to, but I'd still say I'm a fan of this album. It was released at a time when Hip Pop and R&B music was exploding in popularity. Hip Pop is a genre with a lot of terrible music, but fortunately, this is an exception. It's a good album, even if it's not a great album.

And that is the story of my first to albums. I don't love them as much as they used to, but they still have a special place in my heart. They may not be the greatest albums ever, but they're still important to me in that they really shaped my early days of being a music fan. And isn't that what matters in the end?

Next Entry: How Tony Hawk Turned Me On To Classic Rock
The Sane Psycho is offline   Reply With Quote