Music Banter - View Single Post - Clarity Vs. Bleed American
View Single Post
Old 04-28-2014, 03:52 PM   #6 (permalink)
The Big Dog

Yeah, I never got into Futures either. Of course, perhaps it would have been different if I had heard the record without having first heard Clarity and Bleed American, but apart from one or two catchy songs like Pain and Jen it's not really an album I've put much time into.
I just don't think there's much depth. Most of it is pretty decent but there's nothing overly redeemable or anything that differentiates it from the million and one pretty decent pop punk records out there.

There's nothing after Futures I'd bother with apart from the occasional song, but they're few and far between. There's nothing technically wrong with their later input. It's catchy and fun and is accessible to a larger demographic. Could easily make for a mixtape compilation in some hack's spring break trip or just as easily feature prominently on radio/MTV.

However it's such a departure from the genuine emotion and intricate musicianship of Clarity that it's always disappointing knowing JEW are still kicking about making lackluster records when they've already proven they're capable of far more.
I think it's just like with Weezer, they're two different bands.

There's the younger, emotional guys who valued making music with meaning that could resonate in the soul. And there's everything else the two bands have produced which is passable but just not necessary. I tend to think of both bands of not existing beyond Bleed American and Pinkerton respectively.
14232949 is offline   Reply With Quote