Music Banter - View Single Post - The Poseur Cave
Thread: The Poseur Cave
View Single Post
Old 04-29-2014, 07:47 AM   #178 (permalink)
Isbjørn
cooler commie than elph

I declare the rest of the week, starting today, is Nickelback Week! It's just like Justin Bieber Week, where I proposed the challenge of listening to Justin Bieber's Believe album and reviewing it. This time it's Nickelback, and their Silver Side Up album.

I decided to put the album up against Iowa by Slipknot, because of the discussion sparked in this thread. It makes a little bit of sense to compare those two albums, since both were released in 2001.

Artist: Slipknot
Album: Iowa
Year: 2001
Genre: Nu metal

I can make out a few words sung by that horrible screaming voice, and they're mostly “**** people”, “**** you”, “**** my life” and the like. The music isn't anything special either, it's all just noise to my ears. The drummer isn't all that bad, but the way he plays does not appeal to me in any way. Did I say that this album is over an hour long? Because that's too long, especially when the album is bad.

2/5

Artist: Nickelback
Album: Silver Side Up
Year: 2001
Genre: Post-grunge/hard rock

This is bad. Real bad. Not the funny kind of bad, but the bad kind of bad. The singer sounds like he's struggling to take a sh*t, the guitar riffs are downright lazy, and the whole thing is excessively polished and shiny. Luckily, the album is at a reasonable length of 39 minutes, though that's an awfully long time to listen to Nickelback. Has anyone noticed that it was released the same day as the 9/11 attacks occurred?

Here's a RYM review that I liked:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue_Sun at rateyourmusic.com
the title is instructions: play it silver side up, it sounds much better
1/5

Last edited by Isbjørn; 05-07-2014 at 07:42 AM.
Isbjørn is offline   Reply With Quote