Music Banter - View Single Post - now this is punk rock:how much do u despise the government?
View Single Post
Old 11-28-2005, 07:24 AM   #7 (permalink)
DontRunMeOver
They call me Tundra Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherrychic
what do u think about your government?
(i know the one in the U.S sucks)
do you think that they're interfering with the music industry?
how would you express your feelings toward the gov.?
what are some punk rock ways you would deal with them?
rebelion?
I'd write an entire album of songs, each of which highlighted individual complaints against the government and which gave specific, detailed accounts of how the government was wrong. Not lyrics which sings about anarchy, using it in the cliched punk-utopia way which it so often appears, but more like music which realises that music is not a powerful enough force to disrupt the whole of society but can have an effect if it its focussed at the right place, in the right way. Kick-ass, hard hitting music with catchy singable choruses and let the music drill the messages into people's heads. What effect do you think we would have seen if, for example, Red Hot Chili Peppers had brought out a single called 'Vote Kerry, Not Bush' a couple of months before the last US election? A song telling people to vote, a song telling people to buy from a certain supermarket chain (because a different one supports the military, for example). Ideally, going completely against the government's policy while not even mentioning them - as namechecking just reinforces how important/powerful something is, whereas just ignoring them nicely undermines their influence. Really, this would be a case of 'moulding minds through music' but like I said before, not all moulding is bad moulding.

Rebellion? Personally, I think that blatant rebellion just makes you look like an impotent idiot, there are much more subversive and manipulative things that you can do.
DontRunMeOver is offline   Reply With Quote