Music Banter - View Single Post - Cicatrices' The Black Sound.
View Single Post
Old 04-30-2014, 04:40 PM   #2 (permalink)
Cicatrice
Writing my own disaster

Panopticon - Kentucky

Release Date:
Track List: June 12, 2013
  1. Bernheim Forest in Spring
  2. Bodies Under the Falls
  3. Come All Ye Coal Miners
  4. Black Soot and Red Blood
  5. Which Side Are You On?
  6. Killing the Giants as They Sleep
  7. Black Waters
  8. Kentucky

Panopticon is a one man, Austin Lunn, black metal project from the state of.. Kentucky. Yup, black metal from Kentucky. And like so many things from Kentucky its influenced by coal mining, and bluegrass! Yes, black metal influenced by bluegrass! This album uses banjos and violins, and has tracks that are straight forward folk/bluegrass! The album incorporates these elements along with post-rock elements. Which blend masterfully!

Generally, I'm not much on caring about lyrics but this album makes you care. The lyrics to the songs, along with the samples used, tell you about the labor struggles and history of coal miners. The usage of these samples are absolutely masterfully done. Lunn uses them to tell a story, and tell a story they do! Giving us insight into whats going on throughout the album.

This is the first Panopticon album we've heard that Austin uses clean vocals, and they are done surprisingly well. The opening track here is actually a very good introduction. Its completely different from the cliched acoustic strumming that much of the black metal genre is now incorporating in their albums. This album opens with a little bit of a banjo and violin jig. And yes, its cool! Suddenly though as the intro ends you're thrown abruptly right into the ferocious black metal! And I do mean abruptly! The black metal on the album is a mix of this ferocious black metal, post-rock, and of course the folk and bluegrass elements found throughout. It works very well though. There's only three black metal tracks on this album, and they are divided up by the traditional folk songs that Lunn decided to include. "Come All Ye Coalminers", "Which Side Are You On?", and "Black Water" are all traditional folk songs that Lunn decided to record and add to this album. And I must say, I'm surprised by the results.

Killing the Giants as they Sleep is probably the heaviest track on the album.

And one of the traditional folk pieces.

OVERALL: 8/10

I'll be improving on my reviews. I can assure everyone of that. Sorry for a bit of a let down on this one. Album really deserves a better review, honestly.

Last edited by Cicatrice; 04-30-2014 at 04:47 PM.
Cicatrice is offline   Reply With Quote