Music Banter - View Single Post - Cicatrices' The Black Sound.
View Single Post
Old 04-30-2014, 06:10 PM   #5 (permalink)
Cicatrice
Writing my own disaster

Default A hot slad of retro-doom!

Blood Ceremony - Blood Ceremony.

Release Date: May 28, 2008.
Track List:
  1. Master of Confusion
  2. I'm Coming with You
  3. Into the Coven
  4. A Wine of Wizardry
  5. Rare Lord
  6. Return to Forever
  7. Hop Toad
  8. Children of the Future
  9. Hymn to Pan
What do we have here? Occult-themed, female fronted, Sabbath riffing, flute playing, retro-doom metal/rock. That is most certainly a mouthful, and an earful, but its an enjoyable sound!

This band sounds like Black Sabbath and Jethro Tull had a one night stand and 38 years later had a bastard child. Yeah, maybe that sounds a little weird, but you know, its what this is. The flute here though, for me, works better than it did for Jethro Tull. Alias vocals actually work quite well for the band, and I'm not normally big on female vocalists at all. And if a flute playing, occult theme loving, singing, lady isn't good enough for you, she also plays an organ on the first track of the album! The bass playing on this album is actually very solid too, and the drumming, which can sometimes on these type of albums be an after thought is very well done with some very good fills. The band has a certain eerie sound, and I love that!

This album reaches out, grabs you, and makes you appreciate this whole psych-doom revival. One of the bands in this scene who REALLY stand out in my eyes. There's other good bands, but they don't do much new. This band, while playing 70s style music masterfully, stand out and do it convincingly!

So, if you enjoy retro-doom, or you're looking to give something new a try, I highly, highly recommend this album.

OVERALL: 8.5/10.
Cicatrice is offline   Reply With Quote