Music Banter - View Single Post - The Spam Thread: Channel Your Need to Spam Here Only
View Single Post
Old 05-02-2014, 06:11 AM   #2709 (permalink)
VEGANGELICA
Facilitator

Carnism. That's a good word. I'm glad I used it.

Quote:
Carnism is the invisible belief system, or ideology, that conditions people to eat certain animals. Carnism is essentially the opposite of veganism; “carn” means “flesh” or “of the flesh” and “ism” denotes a belief system.

Most people view eating animals as a given, rather than a choice; in meat-eating cultures around the world people typically don’t think about why they find the flesh of some animals disgusting and the flesh of other animals appetizing, or why they eat any animals at all.

But when eating animals is not a necessity for survival, as is the case in much of the world today, it is a choice - and choices always stem from beliefs.

(Source: - Carnism.org // Changing the Way We Think About Eating Animals)

Melanie Joy, an animal activist and author, discovered there was no label for the beliefs of people who produce, consume, and promote meat eating. She created the term "carnism" (Latin carn, flesh or body) in 2001 to name and describe this dominant cultural belief system.

(Source: Why We Love Dogs, Eat Pigs, and Wear Cows - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)
If a chicken was smart enough to be able to speak English and run in a geometric pattern, then I think it should be smart enough to dial 911 (999) before getting the axe, and scream to the operator, "Something must be done! Something must be done!"
VEGANGELICA is offline   Reply With Quote