Music Banter - View Single Post - Musical Pet Peeves
View Single Post
Old 05-02-2014, 07:03 AM   #29 (permalink)
VEGANGELICA
Facilitator

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackdragon123 View Post
I also hate those duets married musicians do when they stare and smile at each-other in that diabetes-inducing way through the whole song.
^ I'd like to see those. They sound fun.

My pet peeve is when singers intentionally break Standard American English grammar rules such as by singing "was" instead of "were" or by using double negatives incorrectly...for example, "I don't have no [insert word]." I also don't like songs that use "ain't."

I suspect such singers are trying to sound cool or hip and "part of the masses," but the anti-intellectualism pisses me off. I especially find it annoying when a singer speaks using Standard American English but then sings using African American Vernacular English. GAA!

^ Summarizing, I generally don't like songs that use African American Vernacular English (AAVE)
African American Vernacular English - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

(Ironically, I just read that the words "cool" and "hip," which I used in my post, are both slang words contributed to Standard American English by African American Vernacular English, so I guess I don't dislike *all* AAVE. )
If a chicken was smart enough to be able to speak English and run in a geometric pattern, then I think it should be smart enough to dial 911 (999) before getting the axe, and scream to the operator, "Something must be done! Something must be done!"
VEGANGELICA is offline   Reply With Quote