Music Banter - View Single Post - What are you reading right now?
View Single Post
Old 05-02-2014, 08:11 AM   #5037 (permalink)
Burning Down
The Music Guru.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cicatrice View Post
I'm currently reading the "A Song of Ice and Fire" series by George R.R. Martin. I'm only on the first book, A Game of Thrones, and not even 50 pages in so far. I'm a bit overwhelmed by how many characters have already been introduced at this point. Seems like a bit to keep up with, and honestly, I'm having a little bit of a hard time. Was anyone else overwhelmed during the early stages of the series? I am enjoying Martin's style so far, just curious if I should be overwhelmed by the amount of the amount of characters being introduced so quickly, and is it vitally important to remember all of them?

Yes, I know, I'm late to the party on reading this. I've never been into sci-fi and fantasy. And I've never watched a single episode of the show, and most likely won't until once I'm done reading the series.
Heh, I only just started the series a couple of weeks ago and I'm already on the second book. I actually love that each chapter focuses on a different character's journey and experiences. You're not that far into the book - keep reading and you'll see that the format makes sense. All the characters are tied together, but I think if Martin wrote it all as one big epic saga, it would just be fucking messy and hard to follow. Your memory of each character will be jogged every time you read their chapter.
Burning Down is offline   Reply With Quote