Music Banter - View Single Post - Tutti-Frutti! Silenzio's Colourful Mix of Music
View Single Post
Old 05-03-2014, 10:20 AM   #26 (permalink)
Silenzio
Music Addict

Default I Never Learn - Lykke Li

Now from those who will be future stars to those who are already!
Yesterday, on 2nd May 2014, the 3rd album of Lykke Li: I Never Learn was put up for sales. I'm sure you are familiar with that unique voice.
The break-through of the Swedish singer was initiated by her cover of I follow rivers, the song received extensive airplay in 2012.

I Never Learn - Lykke Li

Track list
1. I Never Learn
2. No Rest for the Wicked
3. Just Like a Dream
4. Silverline
5. Gunshot
6. Love Me Like I'm Not Made of Stone
7. Never Gonna Love Again
8. Heart of Steel
9. Sleeping Alone

As we all know Lykke is an excellent musician. Recently she said in an interview of NME:
"I always feel like I've been slightly misunderstood. As a woman you get judged for appearances or things like that I don't really care about.
If anything I want to be seen as a singer-songwriter rather than a pop artist. I really feel like I've found my voice."

It’s absolutely clear that she intends to put her music in the spotlight – even if she’s well known in the pop business, she sticks to her style of blending soul, dream pop and indie rock.
So let's see how she concludes her album trilogy!

I never learn is a typical Swedish pop song. The folk-guitar, the beautiful angel-like voices. Wonderful.
Spectacular on the other hand is the track No Rest for the Wicked. The drama is actually demonstrated well in the musicvideo.

My favorite song is Just like a dream because of the melancholy combined with the happiness. Sweet!
The dreamy layers combined with the wooden percussion in Silverline remind me oddly on some spa-background music...
Gunshot on the other hand is filled with action, I like the powerful lyrics. A live version might sound great!
There's a heart I cannot hide… it’s obviously a love song. A Soulful song, Love Me Like I'm Not Made of Stone.
In this heart-breaking manner continues Never Gonna Love Again lyrics-wise. From the musical part it’s a typical ballad.
Heart of Steel is a calm track; I do for some reason enjoy the floating vocals in this track, though the guitar part reminds me on Coldplay.
The final song is Sleeping Alone is a break-up song. Or a follow-up. It's well-sung at any rate!

To sum it up, this album does, as the previous albums, provide well-written and adorably honestly performed songs.
It's not disappointing at all, but I'm sure Lykke Li will prepare something completely different for her next work!