Music Banter - View Single Post - The Poseur Cave
Thread: The Poseur Cave
View Single Post
Old 05-07-2014, 02:42 PM   #187 (permalink)
GD
???pp? ??snW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briks View Post
PIXIES!

Pixies is the name of an American alternative rock band that I'm sure all of you know about. However, only one week ago, I hadn't heard anything by them. Black Francis (who got his username from the band's frontman) and Gigantic Debaser (whose name consists of two Pixies song titles) told me to listen to them a good while ago, but as you should all know by now, I'm really slow at taking recommendations. But I listened to Surfer Rosa a few days ago, and I heard Doolittle yesterday. The latter was selected in an album club some friends and I are running (not the metal one, of course), which means that those friends also get to hear the Pixies.

After having heard two of their albums, I've made up my mind about the band. I think the Pixies are...

...pretty great. Their music is raw, energetic and noisy, but has plenty of room for catchy pop hooks. I read somewhere that they were one of Nirvana's biggest influences, with their noise and stop-start dynamics. Some of their songs aren't all that noisy, though, for instance “Here Comes Your Man”, which apparently became pretty popular when it came out, because my mother knew it and told me it was an “old hit”. Cool.
Good post, and I'm glad you eventually got to hear them. If you're interested in hearing more, I would recommend listening to their debut EP, Come on Pilgrim next. It has some great songs like "Caribou", "Ed is Dead" and "I've Been Tired" and an abundance of lyrical WTF moments.

Last edited by GD; 05-07-2014 at 04:54 PM.
GD is offline   Reply With Quote