Music Banter - View Single Post - Bands you LOVE to HATE!
View Single Post
Old 08-04-2004, 01:33 AM   #32 (permalink)
Pit-Bull84
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rust In Peace
look dude. how shallow a reason is that to dislike a band?

"oh i dislike them coz they don't have guitar solo's"

maybe they didn't feel like the songs needed a guitar solo! i certainly feel as though guitar solo's would have destroyed the St Anger album even more than it already was.
i mean come on, could you seriously say that St Anger or Frantic or wotever would have been better with a guitar solo?

to get the sound they did on the songs, they had to really detune their guitars, so for that tuning to then have a blazing guitar solo from hell within the song......get real!

sure they could have had some solo's, but they did what they felt was right. and as a muscian, i respect that! i'm sorry if you are offended, it was not intentional, but you have to look at the music from a music point of view. and not just see metallica as all "RIDE THE LIGHTENING" and "MASTER OF PUPPETS", but see them as people trying to express musically how they feel or woteva.

Just look at MEGADETH, they started off all THRASH METAL, but after a while, although DAVE MUSTAINE remained true to his roots, the rest of them wanted to try new things. and this shows in their later music.

Or look at PANTERA, Dimebag has to feel as though the song is calling for a solo, he won't just force a solo in there........and why you ask........because he knows it could so easily spoil the song.

A track has to really compliment a solo. it is much more important to get the tone and feel for the song......if this means a few notes from the heart, or a crunching good riff over a solo, then so be it.

if the glove fits......
look dude. how shallow a reason is that to dislike a band? As shallow as it may be, it's still an opinion. That's not the only reason I don't like Metallica, but it plays a role. And some of the bands I listen to don't play solos at all.

maybe they didn't feel like the songs needed a guitar solo! That's fine by me.

i certainly feel as though guitar solo's would have destroyed the St Anger album even more than it already was. But you do agree it was horrible, right?

i mean come on, could you seriously say that St Anger or Frantic or wotever would have been better with a guitar solo? I don't think the album was good at all, and I don't think ANYTHING could have saved it.

to get the sound they did on the songs, they had to really detune their guitars, so for that tuning to then have a blazing guitar solo from hell within the song......get real! They dropped their strings a few steps, true, but plenty of bands detune their strings and still play solos.
And just to make things clear, SOLOS aren't tne only reason I hate new Metallica, and they wouldn't have made St. Anger ANY better.

sure they could have had some solo's, but they did what they felt was right. and as a muscian, i respect that! I respect Metallica for their acheivements as musicians, but their musicianship is not why I hate them.

i'm sorry if you are offended, it was not intentional, I wasn't offended, I just know people who would have been. Having an opinion that differs from yours doesn't make that opinion stupid.

but you have to look at the music from a music point of view. and not just see metallica as all "RIDE THE LIGHTENING" and "MASTER OF PUPPETS", but see them as people trying to express musically how they feel or woteva. True, but once again you're assuming my view on another topic. I don't like bands by how they sound like their old work. Alice in Chains (my favorite band of ALL TIME) changed their sound and I loved EVERY SINGLE ALBUM they produced. As well as the Beatles, Elvis, Pantera, Aerosmith, Johnny Cash, CandleBox, Black Crowes, In Flames, Soundgarde, etc.
All of these bands changed their sound, but I never stopped liking ANY of them.

Just look at MEGADETH, they started off all THRASH METAL, but after a while, although DAVE MUSTAINE remained true to his roots, the rest of them wanted to try new things. and this shows in their later music. Change isn't always a good thing, though. If you're gonna change, be good at it.

Or look at PANTERA, Dimebag has to feel as though the song is calling for a solo, he won't just force a solo in there........and why you ask........because he knows it could so easily spoil the song. I've read interview with Dimebag, and he said that the primary reason that he didn't put solos in his new band is because he wanted to attract a new udience: KIDS WHO WERE INTO NU METAL AND COULDN'T HANDLE SOLOS.

A track has to really compliment a solo. it is much more important to get the tone and feel for the song......if this means a few notes from the heart, or a crunching good riff over a solo, then so be it.
One of the few things we agree on.