Music Banter - View Single Post - Wpnfire? Who's Wpnfire?!'s Journal
View Single Post
Old 05-08-2014, 10:36 PM   #1 (permalink)
Wpnfire
Dragon

Default Wpnfire? Who's Wpnfire?!'s Journal

So, this is my journal. I plan to talk about... well, whatever I feel like honestly.

Exhibit 1!
Jeff Beck - Who Else!

Wpnfire? Who's Wpnfire?!'s Journal-who_else-.jpg

With Who Else! the guitar wizard starts a fling with electronica that would continue through his next two albums.

Of course there are still many non-electronica tracks such as the classic slow blues jam of "Brush With The Blues," the Eastern infusions on "Blast From The East, or the tearful "Declan," but it is the interweaving of electronica elements with Beck's playing on "Even Odds," the synthesized beat of "Thx138," and the fast techno components on "Psycho Sam" that really show the true finesse of Beck's craft, and make Who Else! one of the most considerably varied albums I've listened to.

Spoiler for "Psycho Sam":
Spoiler for "Even Odds":

Exhibit 2!
Jeff Beck - You Had It Coming

Wpnfire? Who's Wpnfire?!'s Journal-you_had_it_coming.jpg

This is Jeff Beck's second album where he experiments (heavily) with electronica, and is my personal favorite of his entire discography (so far), in addition to it ranking high on my list of favorite albums.
The material on this album is considerably more intense and Beck's playing in particular is more aggressive than his prior album.

"Earthquake," "Roy's Toy," "Rollin' and Tumblin'," "Nadia," "Loose Cannon," "Rosebud," and "Left Hook" all utilize various forms of electronica and are all top-notch songs from this album, with "Roy's Toy" being my personal favorite.

"Left Hook" sounds like good fight music, maybe in a video game perhaps?

Aside from those, "Blackbird" is arguably one of the best examples of the utter mastery Jeff Beck displays playing the electric guitar, using extremely high notes to echo the chirping of a bird.

Spoiler for "Left Hook":
Spoiler for "Blackbird":

Last edited by Wpnfire; 01-28-2015 at 10:22 AM.
Wpnfire is offline   Reply With Quote