Music Banter - View Single Post - Favorite movies of all time
View Single Post
Old 05-11-2014, 02:39 PM   #354 (permalink)
Paul Smeenus
David Hasselhoff

I finally watched KB1 last night on Fletnix. I think, if you like KB, you like it because Tarantino is all about directorial style and paying homage to the classic scenes in the genre of martial arts cinema. If you *don't* like KB it's likely because it's only about directorial style and paying homage to the classic scenes in the genre of martial arts cinema. I loved and I mean LOVED KB1 before it got to Tokyo (and to a lesser degree Okinawa), winced a little during the central scene in there, but loved the ending.

Spoiler for JIC you haven't seen KB1:
There was enormous "plot" holes (with full recognition that the movie doesn't care) in the hospital scene when The Bride rips the lower lip/tongue off the rapist before smashing Buck's head with the heavy door (AND the one being the same as the scene in Pasadena, BTW I swear I've been to that house, my ex's sister's place looked IDENTICAL to that home), that being....is this some universe with no police? She got into Buck's "Pussy Wagon" and seemingly spent the night in that ride without swarms of cops searching for the perpetrator of two BLOODY murders, lol. Plus where does she get airfare to Okinawa?

I don't intend the above to be taken as criticism, I'm completely aware that Tarantino doesn't GAF about keeping tight plotlines here, it's all about look and feel and style, and he does that brilliantly. Even with that, I was wincing a bit in the Crazy 88's scene (I fecking LOVED the Japanese girl band in the scenes leading up to it), again recognizing it's only about style and homage, but come on. (I'm not a martial arts movies fan but I'm sure that the scene is paying tribute to a certain martial arts film, I could Google it but wtf, doesn't really matter).

However, I loved the scene that follows, in the Japanese garden between The Bride and O-Ren. Now THAT is pure stylism.

Gonna watch KB2 today.

I would put PF, IB, & JB in that order ahead of KB, RD just below it, I still haven't seen DU. I have yet to not enjoy a Tarantino film.
Gentle Giant Catalog Review

The entire Ditty Bops catalog reviewed
Paul Smeenus is offline   Reply With Quote