Music Banter - View Single Post - Your favorite Metallica album?
View Single Post
Old 05-12-2014, 01:49 PM   #114 (permalink)
Musicfanatic
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wpnfire View Post
1. I've come to realize that the term "heavy" is extremely arbitrary.
Arbitrary, aren't all opinions closely arbitrary?

Quote:
Needless to say, none of the songs on black other than "Sad" and the solo on "The Unforgiven" are ANYTHING close to what I describe as "heavy."
I'd agree, but I think that there are a few good heavy tracks on there. Not Sad But True heavy, no. But most of them contain heavy riffs...

Quote:
I suppose to a pop listener (this isn't directed at you just so you know) the black album is heavy in the same way that British Steel could be considered heavy, but this album is pretty much the exact opposite of heavy.
And this is why the album is highly regarded within most off-metal fans; it gave a way for new fans to get into the older stuff while still being able to make those new fans keep listening to their newer, future, releases if they couldn't get into it. I've never looked at that as selling out. It's just a "progression" onto different pastures. I'd probably do something similar, if I were a musician; you can't stay in the old mold if it's getting stagnant.

Quote:
2. I don't really know what to say about your view on Load, though I guess I will just say 'to each his own...' I find the first song on that album to be great, but the rest is forgettable.
It's the same with the Black Album; it's different. The reason I love the Load album is because I love hard rock, too, and I am not offended when a band does something different. Yes, it'd be nice to get a few more like their first four, but they matured into different musicians, differing feelings, and thus they needed to find new material, though it was older than thrash metal.

Plus, have you ever heard James Hetfield try singing their old stuff? I saw Through The Never the other day. He can't do it. He can't even make anything off of the Black Album sound like it did when it first came out! And the way the audience is when he tries the old stuff, it's a wonder they don't walk out hearing just how thrashed his voice really is now. Pardon the pun, but Hetfield couldn't sing himself into a thrash band now if he tried. And that is why I disliked Death Magnetic; with a different singer with Hetfield's teenage vocal cords, it would've been so much better. Or they could have just made it an instrumental, would've been so SO much better!

And that is why I do like Load and reLoad. And some of their other stuff, like the covers on their Garage Days Inc. double album. They just can't do thrash with a lead singer that hasn't been able to hold onto his young voice. But that isn't the only reason why one should like those albums. It's just a good place to start defending them. Up until they listened to their fans and not themselves, trying to upgrade the metal sound into Nu-Metal.

Quote:
3. I agree with you on Enter Sandman. 'Overplayed' doesn't do it justice.
I still like the song. Listened to it yesterday. But yes, overplayed is a euphemism.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xurtio View Post
I like the progressive stuff, myself. At the opposite end of the melodic spectrum, I don't like thrash metal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknown Soldier
Progressive metal is hardly at the opposite end of the metal spectrum from thrash, a large amount of thrash and extreme metal bands have embraced progressive styles.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wpnfire
I was going to say this earlier.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wpnfire
If you think Metallica's thrash is intense-which is arguably one of the least intense thrash metal bands-good God try listening to black metal or metalcore and THEN try to call thrash the opposite end of the melodic spectrum.

Also, I have to ask this, have you listened to ...And Justice or Kill Em All?
Whenever I think of thrash, and especially talk about why Metallica are my favorite thrash metal band, plus my liking of bands that are just plain rock, I always say that Metallica are the most melodic thrash band I have ever listened to. People have gotten on me about this, but it is the truth; I like melody. I call Slayer's Diabolus In Musica my favorite by them because to me it's the one with the most melody. Before the last year I only had Reign in Blood and up for albums, but now I have their two earlier albums (which are mostly black metal in sound) and I like them a bit more than most their others. I still like Slayer's DIM the most, though, because of the melody I hear. Or, maybe I am just crazy...?

And I think I just realized that your point, Wpnfire, in that quote, wasn't supposed to honor Metallica. Damn you!

About Hetfield's classical training...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknown Soldier View Post
He should've asked for a refund.
Hey! Don't be so mean; Hetfield has enough money to allow for this...

But I agree with your point: if it was to help with his thrash vocals, it didn't. Or maybe it was supposed to kill his teenager cords...?
Musicfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote