Music Banter - View Single Post - Powerstar's Thought-Filled Barf Of Musicalness
View Single Post
Old 05-14-2014, 04:34 PM   #148 (permalink)
Powerstars
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trollheart View Post
Ok this is an interesting idea. I had a similar thought myself some time back but decided against it. Why? For various reasons, some of which included not wanting anyone to see the secrets contained within my Bedroom of Wonder (!) as well as the fact that I'm an ugly ****er, and not to mention that doing something like this may open you to copyright infringement as you need to use the music as a backdrop. I see you've got around the final point there by using YouTubes, and quite well.

But do I think it will work? I have to say no I don't. Why? Because I think people here in general skim through articles or else read them all the way through, but I would imagine the ratio of people who click YTs as opposed to those who don't is quite low and weighted on the side of the latter. People coming to a journal want to read, not watch; they want to see what your writing style is like and they want to get lost in the review. It's not so easy to do that in a four-minute video.

I could be completely wrong --- and if I am, readers, please tell me because I would love to know this will work for him --- but I think people will check your journal, see a post with one YT and either click it in half interest or move on. Of course, you could be starting a whole new trend here, and it'll certainly be a big feature in this week's update, but I think personally you're going the wrong direction. Podcasts like these are great but I don't believe they suit the music journal format and I would much rather see four columns of text than click one YouTube.

Not to mention that if anyone has YouTube blocked in work or in their country you're excluding them.

Not meaning to put a damper on things; maybe this will work fine. But from my point of view, if this is how you intend things to go for the future, I am disappointed and I have to say I would be unlikely to check any of the videos. I can read your text in half the time it takes to go through your video.

Still, good luck with it. But I would suggest maybe a mixture of the two? Writing and video reviews maybe? Perhaps this is what people want. Time, as they say, will be the judge, not me.
I can defiantly see what you're saying, and I have to thank you for being honest. The truth is, I kind of ran out of motivation to do reviews the way I was doing them, and I don't just mean the format of text. I personally don't want to have to talk about each and every track on the album, even though that's more detailed, because a lot of the time, if there's a forgettable or generic song, I can't really talk about it too much. In this new form, I won't have to.

Another thing with the old format was that if there was a song I really liked, a lot of the time it was hard to put it into words, so with this, I can allow the music to speak for itself a bit. But, I can totally see what you mean about it being risky and less convenient. I think a possible solution to the problem would be having the YouTube review, but including a transcript or summary of what I say about the album below, so those short on time, or without YouTube can easily see what my opinions on the album are.

And probably the main reason I'm trying the YouTube format is because I can reach outside of MusicBanter for an audience. I have a small YouTube channel, but it does have a few viewers, and if I'm to do album reviews on it, more people can give me feedback and tell me how to improve and it'll feel like there are people viewing my content. I've actually wanted to do video reviews for a while, but didn't really know how to approach it until recently.

Again, I have to thank you for stating your honest opinion, and I'm sorry if you're still disappointed. I will admit that there are advantages to the old style of review that don't transcend to video well. Who knows, I may go back to the old style if enough people want me too, I know there are some things I'll miss, but for now, I'm gonna test out the new format and see what the other members think, and if it just gives more of a voice in a different way. Thanks for the post, I was really curious to see what the readers would think.