Music Banter - View Single Post - What TV shows are people watching?
View Single Post
Old 05-15-2014, 12:22 PM   #2591 (permalink)
LoathsomePete
Cardboard Box Realtor

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batlord View Post
Again, Batman is a cash cow these days. I imagine even Fox will think twice about just flushing it down the toilet. And that's such a silly mentality. It basically says "If I knew they were going to cancel Firefly then I would have never watched it in the first place and would still to this day be completely ignorant of it." I've loved plenty of shows that got cancelled after the first season and I don't regret getting into them. Better to have loved and lost and all that.
It's not really a show about Batman though, and once the Bat-bros understand that, I doubt they'll come back week after week. After that you're left with a police procedural that's set in a comic universe. Now, if they were adapting Gotham Central then I'd be okay with that, because the part of the point of that comic series was to showcase the feelings of frustration among the Gotham City Police Department now that we live in an age of Superheroes and costumed vigilantes who operate outside of the law, while subsequently making the cops look bad or incompetent. It would also show how police agencies have had to adapt now that there are super powered villains with freezeray guns and whatnot. All of that sounds pretty interesting, and while they've included characters like Detectives Renee Montoya and Crispus Allen, I'm still worried that it's just going to be a dull, by-the-numbers police procedural that happens to take place in a city where interesting comic book stuff will eventually happen.

Compare that last sentence to the other comic/TV adaptations coming this fall:

1) Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D's 2nd season as it leads into The Avengers 2: Age of Ultron

2) Arrow's 3rd season which has A LOT of places it can go, especially after the season 2 finale.

3) The Flash, while this will be riding the coattails of Arrow, it still holds distinction by being the only show on TV at the moment where the protagonist is an honest-to-god superpowered superhero, so it'll be interesting to see how they work around a network TV budget.

4) Constantine, which if nothing else looks to be adamant about staying closer to the source material and given what NBC has allowed Hannibal to get away with, I'm not as concerned about this show being ham-stringed by network restrictions.

5) Agent Carter, not really sure if this is going to be in the Fall 2014 lineup or not, but still, a period piece spy drama about the early days of superheroes, could be pretty interesting.

That's not even counting the 4 Netflix original series' coming in 2015 about Daredevil, Jessica Jones, Luke Cage, and Iron Fist that culminates in a Defenders miniseries.

So what again does Gotham have to offer? It's a police procedural set in a comic book universe? Well guess what, even goddam superhero show is going to follow a police procedural formula, the only difference is in the other ones, we actually get goddamn superheroes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedestrian View Post
The fanbase, which has campaigned for it so hard every season, also seems to have given up on Community. Shocking, since it wasn't exactly like the past season was a lost cause; it was a real return to form and very creatively fulfilling (albeit alienating from time to time).
I dunno if it's resignation or just silent optimism that Netflix or HuluPlus or someone picks it up. Might not happen right away, but if Arrested Development can come back some 7 years after cancellation then I think people are pretty sure Community could, even if it would just be for it's a 6th season and movie.
LoathsomePete is offline   Reply With Quote