Music Banter - View Single Post - How Privileged Are You?
View Single Post
Old 05-19-2014, 05:29 PM   #114 (permalink)
butthead aka 216
Account Disabled

Location: freely swimmin thru the waters of glory much like a majestic bald eagle soars thru the skies

Quote:
Originally Posted by realtalk92 View Post
I am acknowledging it both ways but some things is just what it is.

White people are born with privilege simply because they are white. That is not going to change regardless of how much money they have. Black people and other minorities are always going to have to prove themselves and work harder to prove themselves regardless of how much money they have.
thats something i can totalyl disagree with. ive harped on this facet long enough but you just keep taking these macro statistics and try to apply them at individual levels which makes no sense.

ok so economically, blacks are poorer than whites. i believe thats factual if u look at statistics nationally. but on individual levels, a black guy who grew up with rich parents in the suburbs doesnt have to work harder or 'prove himself' more than some white trailer park kid in some backwoods redneck town. you have an illusion of the world where blacks are all impoverished or something and whites just get things handed to them which is so grossly wrong.

i will tell you one way that racism breeds itself. it comes from these small rural, backwoods towns thru the heartland of america, full of trailer parks, tweakers, etc. those ppl never become educated, for one. but more importantly they equate themselves with the poor minorities across the country and they see minorities gettin all these benfits just for bein black. free college housing, affirmative action, etc. i totally understand why some ppl are racist and im not defendin it, but i just understand how that mindset develops

so anyways, a black guy might have to deal with instances of racism. maybe he gets in an argument, someone calls him the N word. maybe someone assumes something stereotypical of him. etc. i feel like you are takin these relatively small things and makin them seem way more oppressive than they actually are. you make it sound like employers have some bias against hiring blacks when in fact, its the OPPOSITE. theres literally government regulations in place in some industries to promote the hiring of minorities. black suburban guy has it way better than trailer park tommy and i find it slightly offensive you cant seem to grasp that because you cant wrap your head around poor white ppl existing. i hate when ppl have to stop a generalization to point out some anomaly or rare exception but thats not what im doing, theres literally ghettos of white ppl all across the country. its not some weird isolated anecdote of mine

Quote:
Originally Posted by realtalk92 View Post
Are you honestly calling me prejudice because I am acknowledging a well established and researched concept?

I notice alot of posters on this board are uneducated when it comes to "racism" and privilege and it is irritating because its ignorant and prejudice.

YES, I am calling it ignorant because it is.

Most people who are taught abut racism are only taught the overt expressions of it and not the "invisible" systems conferring to the dominance group, "white people"

I am not trying to speak for a white person but from what I have observed in real life as well as on this board in particularly, white people have been taught about racism as something that puts others at a disadvantage but are OBLIVIOUS of its corollary aspects, white privilege, which puts THEM at an advantage.

I think whites are carefully taught not to recognize white privilege, as males are taught not to recognize male privilege or heterosexual privilege.

White privilege as an invisible package of unearned assets that white people can count on cashing in everyday but remain oblivious to it.

Some white people will get it and some unfortunately won't but the fact still remains they are the oppressors even when they don't see themselves that way because of their skin privilege and they have been condition to be UNEDUCATED of it's existence which is sad.

I just finished taking a class about this that was taught by a WHITE TEACHER who even insisted that her skin color affords her more opportunities BECAUSE she is white. So I don't get your generic excuse that "I am prejudice" just because I am acknowledging a WELL ESTABLISHED concept that is researched and has been proven as an INVISIBLE social concept in our culture. I know people of all races and backgrounds INCLUDING WHITE people who also acknowledge the existence of white privilege.

It is ignorant and racist to act like it does not "exist"
its my belief that white priv exists but is just incredibly exagerated to the point of absurdity. nobody can deny racism exists but its hard to take ppl serious when they say that race relations havent made much progress or how some ppl will say that its worse now than 50 yrs ago. how can i take those ppl seriously?? again this is all just mindful exageration for the sake of craving the need to be victims. its not just feminists, its a human condition to want to be a victim. it gives you smypathy, a certain level of pity and more importantly especialyl with the internet it gives u the illusion that your words hold more weight than joe shmoe cause youre 'oppressed' and 'victimized by 'the system'

ive been thru higher education (surprise surprise). ive taken the classes youve taken then i took about 10X more of em. i understand what those classes, research, stats, professors, are saying. yes, i dont have to deal with as much **** bein a white, straight, male. which ive acknowledged before, (with my point being that the oppression of non whites, homos, minorities, etc are exagerated.)

ok.... sooo.... when is it enough for u ppl?? like whats the next step here? most ppl acknowledge it, but whats the end game? to make ppl like me feel guilty about who i am and about the things i cant change?? is this how ppl like u discredit the hard work ive put in over the last, oh i dont know, decade or so?? thats what its always sounded like to me. its not a conscious choice by ppl like you, but i see right thru your disguises. this whole stupid priv thing is just your subtle reminder to ppl like me that i didnt work hard for the things i have and that i somehow didnt 'earn' where im at in life. so i take those ideas and reject them by takin a fat dump all over them each and every time.

im one of the most grateful and appreciative ppl. i see the big picture. i have a good perspective. im not too far deep into the forrest to see the trees. whats enough for u ppl?? i dont feel bad, guilty, ashamed, etc about anythin about myself. ive worked hard for the things ive earned and you ppl who continuously birng up priv and yada yada yada are only justifyin your own failures to urself. "i didnt succeed in this aspect of life cause i never had a chance cause im black/gay/trans/whatever'. dont you understand how positive my messages of anti self-loathing are? dont you see how i try to encourage others to not feel self-pity? or how i am always tellin ppl they arent victims and theres no time to feel sorry for yourself. those ppl never attain the glory im constantly after.
butthead aka 216 is offline   Reply With Quote