Music Banter - View Single Post - Electronica & EDM combination album club! ® (Whew!)
View Single Post
Old 05-21-2014, 09:46 AM   #112 (permalink)
Frownland
SOPHIE FOREVER

1. What were your VERY FIRST impressions on listening to the album, say from the first five minutes in (first time)?
The album opens up on a pretty groovy note, for better or worse. There are some organ techniques that are pretty outdated imo but he does do a lot of cools stuff on that machine. Overall I found it to be likeable, albeit cheesy at some points.

2. Did your first impressions change, i.e., did the album get better or worse as you listened to it (first time)?
Was getting a little irritated by the style towards the end.
3. Which was stronger in your opinion, the opening tracks (first 2-3 songs), or the ending tracks (last 2-3 songs)?
The album opened on a far better note than it ended. Though that could just be because I was getting tired of the album by the time I heard the end. I liked the groovy fusion-esque parts of Soul City.
4. On repeated listens (if you did so), did you find you liked the album more, or less? Feel free to be very detailed if you like.
I've just listened to it once, I thought there were some good tracks on there, but I don't think I'll be listening to it again, tbh.
5. What is your favorite track from the album, if you have one?
The Elephant Never Forgets was good because it was Turkish March but my overall favourite was the opener.
6. What is your least favorite track from the album, if you have one?
Flight of the Bumblebee because it was cheesy at the end.
8. How would you describe the variety of tracks available on this album? Feel free to be very detailed if you like.
The album jumps to some very Floyd-esque moments in the middle, some parts almost sound like jazz fusion which is pretty cool. Some sounded very video game like, almost to a comedic extent.
9. What is the overall mood on this album?
Playful and laid back.
10. Is this an album you would listen to again all the way through (for personal, recreational use, outside of listening to it for this club), or are there just a few songs that you would listen to?
Most likely not, it's not really my thing tbh.
11. How well do you already know the band/artist?
Never listened to him before, but I'd heard the name.
13. Do you see any way the album could have been improved?
A little less cheese on my electronics please. The synth tone or whatever could have used some work at points.
14. Would you recommend this album to others?
I think some of my friends would like this because they played video games, but I don't think I'd recommend it to anyone but them.

15. Are you interested in listening to more albums by this band?
I'd like to hear this guy on modern equipment.
16. What sub-genre, if any, would you assign this music to?
Synthy videogame music.

My Rating:

6/10

. Any other thoughts you had about this album you would like to share?

It's good for what it is, some tracks are much better than others. A lot of them fall into cheeseville.

Frownland is offline   Reply With Quote