Music Banter - View Single Post - The Prog Rock Album Club
View Single Post
Old 05-24-2014, 05:00 PM   #853 (permalink)
Anteater
Certified H00d Classic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknown Soldier View Post
Are we meant to be using Trollheart's formula thingy or just writing a few lines and a score?
We'll be using an abbreviated version of TH's formula, since I don't think its necessary to have as many fields as he uses.

Album Title: Countdown To Extinction
Artist: Megadeth
Nationality: American
Year: 1992
Subgenre: Somewhat proggy thrash metal
Familiarity: Very.

Favourite Track(s): Symphony Of Destruction, Foreclosure Of A Dream
Why? One of the best politically charged metal singles of all time coupled with an unconventional mid-tempo groover makes for a good sequence.

Least Favourite Track(s): None.
Why? N/A

End Impression: Excellent at its best, rock solid at its worst.
Comments: In the wake of albums like Metallica's Black Album from the previous year, Queensryche's Empire and bands like Pantera coming out of the woodwork, the double Daves (Mustaine and Ellefson) needed to put together music that remained true to the sound they had spent the last couple of classic albums pioneering whilst softening up jusssst enough to be palatable enough for the masses in arenas across the country. The results of that tricky compromise at their best, like in the swaggering 'Symphony Of Destruction', 'Architecture Of Aggression' or the proggy 'Ashes In Your Mouth', are what make this album click so well and also why it outsold everything that had come before in mere weeks. Sometimes being at the right place at the right time is all that matters, and progressive metal's viability as a mainstream genre was very, very brief: Megadeth would never click this well again or try to write commercial tunes this technical, but perhaps that was for the best when you consider how meh their output after this one would be.

Rating 4.0

Anteater's Daily Tune Roulette

Quote:
Originally Posted by OccultHawk
I was called upon by the muses for greatness.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frownland
I'm bald, ja.
Anteater is offline   Reply With Quote