Music Banter - View Single Post - The Prog Rock Album Club
View Single Post
Old 05-25-2014, 12:27 PM   #857 (permalink)
Xurtio
Brain Licker

Album Title: Countdown To Extinction
Artist: Megadeth
Nationality: American
Year: 1992
Subgenre: Melodic thrash
Familiarity: I was part of the juvenile "megadeth > metallic" mentality in my larvae metal stage.
Favourite Track(s): Foreclosure of a Dream, Captive Honour
Why? simply because they stand out from other Megadeth songs (that all tend to sound the same)
Least Favourite Track(s): Skin O' My Teeth
Why? While I agree that Sweating Bullets is silly, it's still interesting in that way, and Skin O' My Teeth isn't bad, it just doesn't stand out in anyway.
End Impression: Overall, a good album, very consistent musical atmosphere and theme conceptually.
Comments: I can see how you might call Megadeth proggish. While the theme, attitude, and timbre of the vocals and the guitars is all very thrash, there is a lot of iconic melodic structure and evolving progressions in many Megadeth songs, which are the primary characteristics of prog. So the imagery, the wrapper... it's thrash. But the underlying music theory is all very proggish.

Anyway, this review exposed me to a couple songs that I haden't heard (or at least not recognized) as I've never really listened to Megadeth "by the album". I just kind of mass downloaded random Megadeth songs off of Kazaa at one point in my youth. So it's good to hear stuff that was outside of that P2P aggregate.
Rating: 4.0