Music Banter - View Single Post - How Privileged Are You?
View Single Post
Old 05-25-2014, 10:59 PM   #144 (permalink)
butthead aka 216
Account Disabled

Location: freely swimmin thru the waters of glory much like a majestic bald eagle soars thru the skies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedestrian View Post
The self-fulfilling prophecy is one of the most significant concepts in social psychology. It is the tendency for people who hold stereotypical or prejudiced beliefs about others to behave in such a way as to cause the other party to confirm their expectations.

This phenomenon is found literally across the ethnic/SES board and has been replicated in dozens of different ways. Your beliefs influence your behaviour, and your behaviour influences the behaviour of the person you hold those beliefs about; and all of this occurs without anyone's awareness of it.

So if a particular kind of person makes you uncomfortable, your discomfort with them can cause them to behave in ways that make you more uncomfortable.

i can buy into that. but i dont believe anyone should feel guilty about feelin some type of way around certain ppl. its like mark cuban somewhat controversally just said in responde to the whole Donald sterling thing. we all have our prejudices. theres certain lookin ppl i will walk across the street to avoid and it has nothin to do with skin color, its about their presentation. id rather error on the side of someone falsely believin im racist or somethin than error on the side of gettin mugged or harassed
butthead aka 216 is offline   Reply With Quote