Music Banter - View Single Post - Atheism and its negative stigma...
View Single Post
Old 05-29-2014, 06:14 AM   #11 (permalink)
GuitarBizarre
D-D-D-D-D-DROP THE BASS!

I saw the name, and knew immediately that Sansa's reply would have nothing to do with the topic save using it as a springboard to be offended about one of her pet issues.

Atheism has no direct stigma. Nor is it, as asserted before, about denying an alternative viewpoint as such. Atheism has no dogma, no tenets, no rules beyond "Take the position that god does not exist."

It is entirely possible, and preferable, to therefore allow your opinion the possibility of change while still taking the solid position.

To my knowledge, logically, the majority of atheists simply adopt the position that the various competing religious belief systems construct potential realities for themselves that are unrealistic and incredibly unlikely.

Having reached this point of argument, as an atheist I take the further position that the historical failure of ALL religions save those still practiced, points towards the existence of a higher power being unlikely. Until proof is presented to the contrary I will therefore posit that religious belief is flawed and that god does not exist.

Unlike any other belief system, atheism does allow itself the possibility of being wrong - it simply asks for is initial position, the null state where the inexplicable is not blindly assumed to exist - to be disproven.

The stigma comes from people being *******s and/or poor debaters around this fact, along with the self interests of religious institutions to discredit our position in lieu of being able to disprove it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trollheart View Post
I'll have you know, my ancestors were Kings of Wicklow! We're as Irish as losing a three-nil lead in a must-win fixture!
GuitarBizarre is offline   Reply With Quote